Why would I lift my truck?
1. – To get bigger tires and increase tire clearance. This is the primary reason you should lift your truck; vehicle lifts don’t give a vehicle more ground clearance. If you bottom out without a lift, you’ll bottom out with a lift, UNLESS you have bigger tires. A lift will, however, allow bigger tires to fit onto your vehicle which will give you more ground clearance for off roading. Now you won’t bottom out! A lift will also increase your tire clearance, meaning less wheel rub when you’re crawling through those classic BC washouts.
2. – Because it looks better! We all know it – vehicles look better lifted. Whether it’s a lift kit on a Jeep, Truck or Toyota, or just a levelling kit. In this case you’re probably going to get bigger tires anyways, but you don’t have to worry as much about tire clearance. In fact, you may as well stick as big a tire in there as possible.
KEEP THESE THINGS IN MIND WHEN CHOOSING A LIFT
What do I need to consider when lifting my vehicle?
1. – Not all vehicles lift the same: Jeeps and Trucks lift very differently!
- 2.5” on a Jeep is a noticeable difference in height and will allow for significant tire size upgrade that may not have been possible before.
- 2.5” on a truck is usually just a levelling kit. Not that there’s anything wrong with that! Trucks will more than likely need a 4” lift to even start seeing any difference.
2. – The higher you go the more there is to consider. This changes from one vehicle to the next and may not be true when comparing a 2” lift to a 3” lift on a Jeep for example. However, it can be a huge difference when comparing 3.5” to a 4.5” lift on a Jeep because driveline angles may be affected. Another thing to consider is your gear ratio, this will tell you what size tire your transmission can handle. It’s very possible you may need to re-gear your transmission.
WHAT BRAND OF LIFT KIT SHOULD I CHOOSE?
There are so many different brands to choose from that it can be overwhelming. Here at Trademasters we’ve done the research and have tested many different brands and styles of lifts. If you need help when considering a lift, stop by or give us a call, we are happy to pass on our knowledge to you and will most likely have a recommendation for your vehicle and your needs.